Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Barnyard Honey

I have been reading a great amount of Sherlock Holmes novels lately. Not the original canon, but spinoffs done by other authors. Right now I am on Laurie R Kings The God of the Hive. Anyways many spinoff writers like to focus on Sherlock's love of bees. Which is great and everything except it leaves me craving honey.

I remember a couple of years ago there was an event at Jungle Jims that involved a huge display of honey. In this display there were mason jars full of honey with a honeycomb inside on sale. I wanted to buy one, but I convinced myself that it was too expensive and I didn't need it. Stupid reasonable me. I've dreamt about what that honey would taste like. If I could travel back in time I would ride a dinosaur. If I had enough time after that I would go back to that point, smack myself in the head and put the honey in my cart.

So for a while I was craving honey pretty badly. Not just regular clove honey. I wanted the honey they described in the books I was reading. The honey from wild flowers. With this thought in mind I stopped off at the honey section in Meijer. There they had a wide variety of different kinds of clove honey. They only had one that wasn't clove. It is called Dutch Gold Buckwheat honey. This is a very brown honey. When I bought it I just thought the bottle was brown. Oh no, the honey itself is brown.

I was so excited to try it when I got home. Allison and Garrett were coming over for a little dinner party. I thought it would be a fun thing to try then. Boy, was I wrong.

Allison said it perfectly when she said, "It tastes like how a farm smells." For a while I tried to fool myself into thinking it tasted good. I had three servings of it. It didn't work though. This honey tastes and smells like a barnyard. There is no escaping it.

So my need for honey went unfilled until I went to Findlay Market with of all people, Allison. There is a booth there called Bee Haven Honey, which come on that name is just too darling for words. Bee Haven is a locally owned honey company. They have a small stall at Findlay. When I stumbled across it I was super excited. Let's just say Allison was a little less enthused about foraying into obscure honey tastes.

Bee Haven does have a Buckwheat honey which we were both sure to avoid. We got to sample the three different types of honey they had. I ended up with a huge smile on my face and a 1 pound jar of wild flower honey. It is good. The taste difference from clove honey is very subtle. The only way you can really tell the difference is if you eat them both at the same time. I have noticed this one easier to spread than most honey. Either way I am happy with my purchase. It is a local honey, made with local bees, in one of my favorite places to shop.

Notice the two pictures I have posted. Honey number one is sitting out in the open. A polite reminder that not all things different are good. Honey number two is in my pantry. A polite reminder to eat it with anything and everything because it is so dang good.

2 comments: