Thursday, July 4, 2013

Surprise Fireworks at a Bookstore

I walked into a bookstore the other day for the first time in a long time. Which makes it sound like I don't read. I do. It is just that every bookstore near me has closed within the past three years. The only place I can buy books without going out of my way now is my Kindle, Target, and the internet.
It was like coming home. I've always felt that way in any place that has a good deal of books. How could you not? There before you are hundreds of friends who are willing to let you read their minds. Thousands of people waiting to meet you. So many opportunities for you to be whoever, whatever, wherever, whenever you want.
I walked around the store for an hour or so before settling on the new Neil Gaiman book The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I brought it up to the coffee shop and settled into a seat that looked over the river and city skyline. I was passing the time. Waiting for a movie that wouldn't start for another hour.
I sat in my chair drifting off to another world. Occasionally drifting back in to check the time, observe the city scape, and people watch. There was a couple not too far from me. I could tell they were either on their first or second date. She stated that the reason she doesn't like the NBA is because of the Korean War. I wish I had recorded her argument. It was beautiful, scary, and stupid. All rolled into one.
Thirty minutes before my movie was to start I started taking bigger gulps of my coffee. I debated staying and reading a little longer, but I have this thing about being on time. I hate being late. Even with the previews for the movie taking up 15 minutes, I had to be there right at the start time.
As I picked up my book and threw away my cup I heard a loud boom and a succession of loud crackles. I thought a bomb had gone off until I saw the colorful sparks out the window.
Large loud fireworks were being set off half a football field away from the shop. I walked out on the store's balcony in awe. I was later told they were professional fireworks setup for a festival going on across the river.
At that point I didn't care. There was no space to. Everything was filled with colors, sounds and vibrations. First there was the colorful sparks, followed a boom that reverberated off of your chest. Then ricocheted off of the city then back to you and into your ear.
There were three other people with me on the balcony and a handful below. It was such a sight to see. I felt like a child.
The show went on for 30 minutes. I was late for my movie, but strangely I didn't care. I wish I could've taken a picture. I tried with my phone, but it simply didn't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment