Thursday, March 7, 2013

World War II Food

I asked my mother the other day for a recipe for what my sisters and I call World War II food. I wish I could say I was the one who came up with that name. The credit actually goes to my older sister Julie. She says she thought of it because the dish reminded her of what people ate during WWII. Basically throw what you have from your garden and kitchen into a pot.

That's all it is really. Potatoes, sausage, onions, and green beans in a pot with a little vinegar and pepper. But to me it isn't that simple. To me it is listening to Moondance by Van Morrison while doing my homework at the kitchen table. The smell of it cooking permeating through the house. To me it is getting called into dinner after playing in the snow for hours with my sister. It was the time I got to talk to my parents about anything I wanted to, though most of the time I stayed silent. I love hearing other people tell their stories. It reminds me of my parents and how, come Hell or high water all five of us were going to eat dinner together. Even if that meant eating at 4 pm before Julie had Drill Team.

To most this meal may seem simple, but to me it has a lot of heart. My Grandpa Schwendenmann once said that the special ingredient in anything he made was love. To me there is a lot of love that goes into this dish. It  may be simple. But don't judge a book by its cover. Its gotta lotta heart.
                                

WWII Food Recipe:

1 Hillshire Farm Sausage cut up (Any flavor you want)
2 potatoes
1 can of green beans
1 medium onion
Salt, pepper and vinegar to taste (I like about 1/2 cup vinegar. But I LOVE vinegar)

Put sausage in pan over medium heat until brown. Add onions and potatoes and let it sit for a minute.
Add whole can of green beans including all the juice. Add salt, pepper, and vinegar.

Cover and let it simmer for a while. The time frame really depends on how hungry you are. 30 minutes seems like long enough.

Then enjoy. The amount listed can serve about 3 people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment