Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cincinnati Mall

I work in Fairfield. Exit 41 off of 275. Everyday I drive past exit 39 and a huge sign that advertises for Cincinnati Mall. I never stop. There isn't any point really. While it is a rather large space it isn't actually a mall anymore. Basically just four huge chain stores with a lot of causeway in between and a Danburry. The mall just never got it right.

I pulled up after work on Monday. It was snowing. As I walked in the place felt eerie and to top it all off I could hear a child's laugh. A recording that played a couple of times, that I suppose was meant to be welcoming but really just made me think I'd made a terrible mistake and Freddie was going to get me. The laugh came from a collection of children's rides. The kind that cost a quarter and you can't understand why kids like them but you remember loving them as a kid too.

Right next to this small island of rides was the entrance to Kohls. But further down there was nothing. This two story behemoth of a mall full of over 200+ store fronts is, for the most part, a retail wasteland. There were signs for Auntie Ann's and Claire's, two stores I think of as staples in any actual mall. They were boarded up, or in Auntie Anne's case, just a sign.

As I walked through the mall couldn't help but get the feeling I was trespassing. Simultaneously I couldn't help but think of how America's purchasing habits have changed. That this abandoned giant is someones trophy failure. It also made me think of how I would defend myself there in a zombie apocalypse. It could work out great since no one is really there and Bass Pro Shop has boat loads of weapons and boats.

Food supplies would be a problem. There was only a Japanese express restaurant, a Gold Star, and a questionable snack place. Still the awkwardly placed gymnastics place apparently serves beer and salads. Also there are an unusually high number of M&M and Coke vending machines per square foot.

It also might work out brilliantly because the Cincinnati Mall is actually head quarters to Lakota Robotics Thunderhawks. They are a part of a program called FIRST for high school kids. In January they were given the challenge to not only build a robot that can play Frisbee golf but also climb a jungle jim. I actually spoke with some of the high school kids on the team. From my first impression I could tell they are pretty gosh darn brilliant. The shop that they occupy is full of gads of interesting robots and trophies. Apparently the robot they had on the floor could shoot 3 pointers. I was intimidated.

After that I just sat for a while. The place in general is visually pleasing. How often in today's society can you find a big open indoor space that is mostly quiet? I found a comfortable chair on the second floor and looked down upon the empty dream. If you can't tell I do have a soft spot for things that haven't lived up to their full potential. I wonder what that says about me?

From my perch I thought of what a younger me would have done with so much room to play. Tag came to mind. How awesome would it be to play tag in such a ginormous space? Or what about a giant game of two story hide and seek? Also sitting there for a while, I noticed the mall wasn't as vacant as I thought. People kept running and speed walking past me. Other people have noticed this great empty space and repurposed it as a free indoor track. Again fast runners, smart kids, and weapons make me think great place to hide from zombies.






No comments:

Post a Comment